The chicken burger to trump all chicken burgers. It’s that good.
Crispy, juicy chicken thighs are the secret to this beauty while the avocado topping brings a lovely Summer freshness.
Serve with chips and a cold drink!
Makes 4 burgers
- 4 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 700ml vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 ripe avocados
- Handful of cherry or baby plum tomatoes
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To serve: 4 burger buns and salad leaves
1. We’ll start by prepping the chicken. Use your hands to open and lightly flatten the thighs (they tend to come a bit “rolled up”, and we want to get them resembling a chicken breast in shape) and season generously with salt and pepper on both sides
2. Spread the flour in a shallow plate and the panko breadcrumbs in another. Break the eggs into a pasta bowl and lightly scramble them with a fork
3. Coat each thigh thoroughly in plain flour, then dip it in the egg mixture and finally coat with breadcrumbs. Once you apply the breadcrumb coating, use your palms to press the panko into the thigh and top up with more panko as needed to create a thick crust
4. [Optional step] Cover the thighs and refrigerate for 30-60mins before frying if you have time. This step helps get them even more crispy!
5. For the avocado topping, peel and remove the stones from the avocados and slice into small cubes. Slice the tomatoes into quarters and combine them with the avocado in a bowl. Add the juice of half a lime, season with salt and pepper and mix well with a spoon
6. For the spicy mayo, combine the mayonnaise, chili powder, paprika, juice of the other half of the lime and grated garlic. Add a good pinch of salt to taste and mix with a spoon until creamy and homogenous
7. [Optional step] Butter and grill the buns on a frying pan to crisp up the inner sides
8. Lastly, let’s fry the chicken – add the oil to a deep frying pan and pre-heat it up to 170C. If you do not have a thermometer, test the temperature by adding a couple of breadcrumbs to the hot oil. If they create bubbles and float immediately, you’re good to go! Winning tip: leave all other burger components ready to serve when we start frying the chicken for maximum freshness
9. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken thighs (one or two at a time, any more than this will cause the oil temperature to drop too much and the chicken won’t crisp up as nicely). Fry each side for approximately 6 mins until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining meat
To serve, spread a generous amount of mayo on the buns, add that delicious chicken, top with avocado and leaves. Enjoy!